Thursday, November 17, 2011

Dealing with Loss & Comfort Food

 Well, I've had one crazy, busy, but still fun summer.  We traveled; which was awesome and I spent some time going to different doctors trying to find the right answers for my anxiety issues.  Luckily, my search led me to a wonderful doctor who has put me on some hormone replacement therapy and that seems to be the ticket.  We are still trying to get the right mix for me, but I know I'm feeling much better.  Yay!

My family and I were wrapping up our summer travels, just back from Boston (in September) when my dad unexpectedly ended up in the hospital.  He'd had a heart attack and within 10 days... he was gone.  This has been difficult and I'm dealing with it the best I can.  I'm so blessed to have brothers that I can lean on - not to mention all my wonderful family and friends that are always there for me - my aunts and uncles, my in-laws and my husband and son - just amazing!  Thank God for them all.

Through all of this grief and dealing with the loss (as well as the Fall weather), I've noticed that I'm craving comfort food.  You know what I mean.  We all have our own versions of it.  Mine has been stuff like mashed potatoes, meatloaf, roast, stew, fried chicken, mac and cheese, monte cristos... the list goes on...

I am allowing myself these comforts (in moderation) and making them a bit more healthy where I can.  I'm keeping my workouts fun and changing them up to keep them interesting.  I've started taking Shakeology and I'm loving the quality ingredients that I'm putting in my body.  I'm anxiously awaiting my copy of P90X2 to arrive by Christmas, so I can bring it up to the next level.  I'm learning to allow myself to grieve and when I feel like crying, I cry.  That sounds pretty basic, but it's not all that easy for me.  Tears and time bring healing.  I just have to give time... time.

What are some of your favorite "comfort foods" and how can you make them less naughty?

No comments:

Post a Comment