Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Breaking Through a Rut!

I've been working out to Beachbody products for over 2 years now. Most of my first year was spent solely on P90X, then I moved on to P90X Plus, so I hadn't really gotten bored with my workouts until just recently, this summer.

I found myself not really applying myself anymore. Feeling bored with the workouts, I decided I needed something new, so until I could purchase my latest workout (Brazil Butt Lift), I decided to change up my existing routine. I started by alternating between the two programs I already had - regular P90X and the Plus. Instead of doing the 90 day program straight through on one or the other, I would do one week on schedule with regular P90X and then switch the next week
to the Plus schedule.

I would also reverse the order of my workout. Instead of starting at the top of the workout sheet, I would start with the last exercise and move up the sheet in reverse. That may seem really simple, but it made a big difference. Doing that was a really great way to confuse my body and break up the monotony of my workouts. It's amazing how you get so use to doing the workout in the same order each time. I found that I could do alot more reps (or weight) than before when I was doing these excercises at the end of my workout - doing them at the beginning, when I was fresh and rested.

I also use music as a motivator. I love music, so I have found that it really helps me to apply myself more. Especially, on workouts that aren't my faves, like Plyo. If I can get lost in some great music, I find that the exercise is over before I know it and I'm dripping sweat.

Another thing to remember, that can be very effective, is to maybe just take a good long break. I do something easy, like walking (quickly) on a treadmill. Sometimes it's nice to just do a brisk walk on the ol' treadclimber, getting lost in a magazine or book or music while I walk/climb.

Or here's a novel idea... sometimes, I just... sleep in!!! Whaaattt?! I give my body a rest - I don't allow myself to feel guilty - and I come back in a week (or more) revived and renewed in my commitment to workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment