Saturday, August 7, 2010

I just got back from a week long camp trip with my family. We went to Bull Trout up near Stanley. We had some excellent food and fun! Everyone usually tries to go all out to bring meals that will wow everyone! It’s always so much fun to see who will come up with something totally new! My sister-in-law made a fun dessert using hallowed out oranges. It was neat and very yummy!

I have a recipe to share for a dessert I made with avocado from the book “10 Things You Need to Eat” by Dave Lieberman. It is Yummy!

Ingredients

· 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

· 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa

· 1/2 teaspoon salt

· 1 cup almonds

· 4 ounces good-quality bittersweet chocolate

· 1/2 cup canola oil

· 1 large, ripe Hass avocado, pitted and peeled

· 6 eggs

· 1/2 cup granulated sugar

· 1 cup dark brown sugar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish with parchment and grease the parchment.

Whisk the flour, cocoa, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.

Grind the almonds in a food processor until roughly chopped. Stir the nuts into the cocoa mixture.

Break up the chocolate and add the pieces to the food processor. Pulse just until coarsely chopped and stir into the cocoa mixture.

Wipe out the food processor; then add the oil, avocado, eggs, and sugars and process until smooth.

Use a rubber spatula to transfer the avocado mixture to the bowl with the cocoa mixture; then gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.

Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 35 minutes, until the batter has

just barely set in the middle. Allow to cool fully before slicing into 3 4-inch brownies.

I prepared all of the dry ingredients before we went and just had to throw together the wet ingredients and then incorporate. We camp in a trailer and we take a generator so I can use my mixer when I have recipes like this. I had a total splurge week and served this with vanilla ice cream, but you could just as easily use frozen yogurt.

Now, to work off all of the wonderful food that we had, my husband and I tried something new for our workout routine, besides our normal camping activities of swimming, hiking, biking and horseshoes, we also got up each morning and went for a run. Now, please bear in mind that I am not a runner (though I have tried it on a few occasions) and have never been able to go very far without stopping, but we gave it our all. It was fun to try it together (he ran in the army every morning) and I did surprisingly well. I was sure sore in my shins and hips. It was a nice change from our ordinary routine and was a good break, but I've learned that I am not a runner. I think you either are or you aren't, but it was fun to try it for a week.

It was nice to get back into my P90X routine this morning. I did Kenpo Cardio from the Plus routine. I was pouring sweat and it felt great to get back into it after my week off camping.

This next week I am going to write about Tosca Reno & "The Eat Clean Diet". Which was definitely not the theme for this last week's camp trip, but we did o.k. with plenty of fresh fruit and veggies, homemade cereal bars, Tosca's homemade protein bars, oatmeal cookies & biscotti.


No comments:

Post a Comment