Friday, March 4, 2011

My Workout Drink Conundrum

You know that I'm on an "eat clean" journey, which just means that I try to eliminate or use less processed foods, white sugar & flour, etc. I cook/prepare whole/homemade food from scratch and I try to be more conscious of what I'm putting into my body (and that of my family). I read ingredients lists and I try to know what everything is and what it's used for, etc. I don't drink soda or pop or buy high calorie coffee drinks; but, I do use (up until 2 weeks ago) a "pre-workout" drink and sometimes an "In-Training" (during workout) drink for energy/stamina/drive. I've even written about them in one of my first posts, but I have recently been feeling increasingly guilty for using them because they are loaded with caffeine and so many other things that I don't fully understand - their "proprietary blend" of herbs/supplements. I like the energy and focus they give me. I know I work harder when I use them. I go off them for several weeks at a time; but, ultimately, I go back to them.

So, in wrestling with this guilt, I asked my coach (through Beachbody) what he and others in his team use if anything. He, too, has used some such products, but has opted to "keep it simple" and just use a whey protein isolate drink prior to his workout. So, I decided to give that a try. I've been doing that for 2 weeks now and my conscience is faring very well.

I'm cheating just a little by mixing it with plain ol' fashioned coffee for that bump of caffeine (which isn't actually a no-no for clean eating) and I'm doing ok with it. I don't have the energy and focus that I do when I use the other products, but I still get a decent workout and I feel better about the choice.

We'll see how it goes from here.





No comments:

Post a Comment