Friday, March 4, 2011

Anxiety!

OK, so I’ve not been great at writing to my blog so far this year. I’ve been struggling lately and haven’t felt like sharing. But, today it struck me that I should start journaling again and maybe I should share some of my struggles on my blog. Maybe other people struggle with the same or similar issues. Even though this is a food and fitness blog – part of being fit is being emotionally and mentally healthy too… so, here goes…

I struggle with anxiety (& depression – but that’s a story for another day). Sometimes are worse than others. I take medication daily for it and I go through long glorious periods where I don’t ever feel any anxiety - even through the usually stressful times, like the holidays - I sailed through without any issues. Now, Bam! I’ve come around this corner where I feel anxiety almost daily… for no apparent reason… nothing I can put my finger on… completely, seemingly unprovoked and without reason or warrant.

It’s this choking, uncomfortable and sometimes physically painful feeling. I can’t eat, I can’t sit still, and I can’t relax. I get so exhausted that all I want to do is sleep. But, when I do just sit around or go back to bed or just try to be still, I get worse… It seems like I’d feel better if I just kept moving, but I am so tired that I want to lie on the couch and veg.

There’s no amount of relief or assistance to be gained by telling me to ‘calm down’ or ‘everything will be ok’… I “know” that already, but it doesn’t matter. My system goes into this panic/fight or flight zone.

The funny thing is that I tend to hide it pretty well from most people. I share it with my husband, because there is something cathartic about fessing up that I’m feeling it. But, to most people… from the outside… you can’t tell that I’m a bundle of nerves on the inside.

So, we've discovered that this time of year really seems to be difficult for me; after the holidays - after all the hustle and bussle - this in between phase, before Spring.

BRING ON SPRING!



No comments:

Post a Comment