Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Black Bean Soup

I've made many different black bean soups, but this one from Forks Over Knives is my favorite!

Ingredients:
1½ C chopped onions
1 C chopped carrots
1 C chopped celery
Six 15 oz. cans black beans
1 lb frozen corn
Four 16 oz. cans crushed tomatoes spiced with green chiles
2 banana peppers, chopped
1 jalepeno pepper, chopped
3 bunches of greens (such as kale, collards or chard), chopped or torn w/stems removed - I used kale
½ to 1 C fresh cilantro - I didn't use that much - I might've used ½ that amount & I may have used dried.
Healthy corn chips - I use Food Should Taste Good Multigrain Chips at Costco


1.  Put 1 cup of the onions and the carrots, celery, black beans, corn, tomatoes and peppers into a large soup pot.  Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
2.  While the soup is cooking, saute the remaining ½ cup onions and the kale in a saucepan with a little vegetable broth or water for about 10 minutes.
3. Puree the cooked greens and fresh cilantro in a food processor.  Add blended greens to the soup and stir well.  Serve with crushed up corn chips mixed in.  (I didn't crush them - I just served them on the side).

No comments:

Post a Comment